Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Lane Splitting / Filtering
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
whatever you call it 2 things I think are true it saves a lot of time in traffic and it is dangerous.
where I live it is illegal, an one day this guy will probably get a fine, (who ever he/she is)

http://youtu.be/JUzZ-Lsw3-Q
I think if even it were legal in illinois i wouldnt. Id bet thered be a more few people that would turn into the middle just to block me just cause they didnt know/wanted to be douchy
I DO NOT WANT TO OFFEND ANYONE, BUT IF YOU DO THIS YOU ARE ASKING TO BE INJURED OR KILLED ONE DAY.
YOU MAY BE THE BEST BIKER OUT THERE, BUT THERE ARE TOO MANY NON CARING, STUPID, TEXTING, RACING, "LANE SPLITTING/CHANGING" CARS OUT THERE. NOT TO MENTION TRUCKS, BUSES, ETC.
FELLAS, THEY EITHER DON'T CARE ABOUT US, DON'T
SEE US, HATE US, OR WHATEVER.

"DON'T CRY IF YOU DIE"

WISDOM FROM A 61 YEAR OLD RIDER, NEVER HAD AN ACCIDENT IN CAGE OR BIKE. YEAH SOME SAY LUCKY, TRUE, BUT ALSO A VERY DEFENSIVE RIDER/DRIVER.

Sorry for the caps, I have to shout on this topic. One of my VN bros was killed by a bus while he tried to split, and it was in slow moving traffic. I unfortunately witnessed it and it hit me hard.

Ride Safe

DocLubo
doesn't even take someone switching lanes. just one vehicle to veer a little closer to the line than the rider anticipated...
I live and ride in California, where its not only Legal, it is illegal to interfere with a rider splitting lanes. I remember the first time I split: 25mph and traffig was doing about 30...scared the living crap out of me. the traffic here is so bad you are asking for trouble if you dont split. I have had a lot of close calls splitting, I know the risk I take every time I hit the line...here in CA its the same risk I take every time I mount up. Doc, I am truly sorry to hear about your friend, thats rough. I do my best to keep my head on a swivel and I always assume that friggen cage up ahead is going to pull out in front of me. All of the alertness in the world does not save you from a-holes though. It took almost a year, but I did end up having an incident you might say it involved splitting, you might not...Numbering lanes from left to right I was in Lane 3 when traffic ahead almost came to a stop, i looked over to see that there wasnt somebody immediately beside me (cause cagers get scared if you hit the line RIGHT beside them), since it was clear i decided to take the hole. The idiot in front of me had other ideas, he very quickly took his right tires to the line and slammed his brakes, i tried to get into the space i was shooting for but by this time i wasnt sure if the black suv behind to the right of me was still a safe distance away. not wanting to full on rear end this twit, i tried to make it into the smallest hole possible. I wound up smacking my knee on his bumper, the back of my leg hit my rear pegs and the center stand (this was my old honda). the foot kick for the center stand tore my jeans and scraped hell outta my leg. its been about 2 months now and its still healing. Lesson is, Doc is right, but more than splitting you take your life into your own hands EVERY time you mount up. Be alert, watch out for the other guy and don't be the other guy.

Hey All,

I am out here in San Diego, CA also. It is legal to split lanes, with traffic moving at 35 mph or slower and you cannot go 10 mph faster than the traffic. I honestly fully believe that is riders/bikers did not lane split they could be rear ended by a cager due to texting, not caring, not paying attention, distracted. It is scary to be going down the lane and to see a giant f-350 lifted coming into the middle of the lanes, but I would rather take the chance of sneaking by him, then him not seeing me and running me over from behind.

Doc,

Also sorry for the lose brotha. Never an easy thing to see a friend go down never to rise, and commend you for staying on the bike and continuing to ride.

Ride on all!
True to all,

I too learned to ride in San Diego, CA where is it not only LEGAL, but it is RECOMMENDED by State Highway Patrolmen. During a safety stand down on Camp Pendleton for a 4 day weekend we had California Highway Patrol do a safety brief on motorcycle riding and lane spliting. The technicalities of lane spliting, how to do it safely, and why you should do it.

10 mph above the current traffic of speed and you can only do it between two lanes (not opposing lanes). They used the justification that they would rather have a motorcyclist in front of the traffic than in between the traffic and get smashed in between two cages.

I'll admit, I used to go faster than I should have on my Ninja zx6r inbetween So-Cal Friday traffic on the I-15 to get home. But I was always on the lookout, I looked at side view mirrors, positioning of vehicles, speeds, potential mergers. I've done that for about 3 years and haven't gotten into an accident.

But like Doc said, an accident/crash was inevitable. I'm a couple years older than I was before and I moved out here to Washington State where I appreciate slow and low a little more. Getting to my destination safely is now more important to me than anything else while riding.

The enigma to my situation is, if I DO live in SoCal again, I probably will lane share again :P
where do yu look to find out if it is legal in your state im in ga
there are exactly 1 (one) states where it is legal.

(07-09-2013, 11:50 AM)chunx Wrote: [ -> ]Hey All,

I am out here in San Diego, CA also. It is legal to split lanes, with traffic moving at 35 mph or slower and you cannot go 10 mph faster than the traffic. I honestly fully believe that is riders/bikers did not lane split they could be rear ended by a cager due to texting, not caring, not paying attention, distracted. It is scary to be going down the lane and to see a giant f-350 lifted coming into the middle of the lanes, but I would rather take the chance of sneaking by him, then him not seeing me and running me over from behind.

Doc,

Also sorry for the lose brotha. Never an easy thing to see a friend go down never to rise, and commend you for staying on the bike and continuing to ride.

Ride on all!
Newest law on the speed of traffic is 39, still not more than 10 over.
That Russian biker is NUTS! My heart was in my mouth watching that clip...I must admit when I was younger I rode a bit like that, road racing is kind of normal over here with the youth, though illegal, and I had plenty of spills, the fastest I ever road a bike on the road was 150mph, I couldn't go any faster as my eyes started to vibrate inside my skull and vision was blurred but I recon the bike was good for another 20 mph at least! Its amazing how a straight bit of road develops bends at high speed. I came off at 95mph once as I crossed a rain soaked white line- you slide a long way on your ass at that speed. Broken quite a few bones but lived to tell the tale and got more sense as I got older!! It's the main reason I got an old Brit bike - to slow me down, and it's usually in bits in the workshop anyway. A cruiser beckons and I'll not be riding like a nutter any more.
As you get older you don't get wiser or better sense their just less stupid things you haven't done.lol
(04-30-2013, 10:08 PM)jmck Wrote: [ -> ]whatever you call it 2 things I think are true it saves a lot of time in traffic and it is dangerous.
where I live it is illegal, an one day this guy will probably get a fine, (who ever he/she is)

http://youtu.be/JUzZ-Lsw3-Q

That guy he just passed was probably me!
This guys pretty good!
and its a classic hes on, wow i can't/won't do that with my classic.
i just suffer through it like everyone else and they all thank me too, i bet.
I might have b...s, but they get real tiny when i think about doing something like that!
I even missed a job opp. because i was 20 min late...due to traffic on the freeway
but i can live with that. theres always another day - if i keep it smart and safe! right? yup
i believe it is only legal to split in 2 states, CA and TX, TX just adopted it a couple years ago and not too many know about it, was real quiet. no way will I or anyone that I know ever do it though, well maybe if traff was at a total stop then possibly as that road and bike gets real hot real fast. they say thats why they approved it, help get a extra vehicle out of the mess and the overheating.
@zag s vid shows a f#"kwit. and with apologies to @DocLob for what he and his friends experienced, I would have to agree with @commonground s vid. . lane splitting is common practice worldwide with the u s and australia being in the minority.I recently conduct a study in sydney cbd well lane splitting was allowed, only in the cbd mind you. I for one hope for the results of the study prove lane splitting tv safe and congestion easing

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Pages: 1 2 3