Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Intermittent knock
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Sounds like it is coming from the transmission drive side. Seems to be related to the rear wheel rotation which in turn rotates the transmission gears. Can shut the engine off and roll forward and back in neutral and the knock is there. Knock went away about 2 weeks ago and has not returned. Has been to the local dealer and they could not duplicate the symptom. Checked output shaft and sprocket for tightness and shaft play, nothing unusual, nothing caught in the belt or sprockets. Any ideas are welcomed. Sure don't want to be 500 miles from home and have it seize up. In advance, thanks.
When did you change the oil and what type and brand ? Check if clutch cable feels smooth with pull/release of lever. Does it happen when handle bar is straight or turned in either direction?
So the sound comes around when... the bike is in gear, when its in gear and the clutch is pulled in, and when the bike is in neutral?
Does it in neutral when rolling the bike either forward or back. Also does it when riding. Does not seem to sensitive to gear selected. Had the rear wheel raised and knock happened while rotating the wheel, tranny in neutral, engine off. Hasn't done it in quite some time, say the last 200 miles or so. Sounds almost like a backed out fastener hitting another hard part. Maybe it came all the way out. This intermittent stuff is mind boggleing.
My bike is making the same noise. Has anyone figured this out?
How many miles on this bikes?
Valve adjustment perhaps ?
ma'god, lets hope not that could be bad juju. i have no experience on this issue, good luck.
Just over 9000 miles. The noise is from the area of the transmission. I hear it best with the engine off and just rolling the bike in neutral so valves are likely the cause.
(07-31-2013, 01:17 AM)Sfolkman Wrote: [ -> ]Just over 9000 miles. The noise is from the area of the transmission. I hear it best with the engine off and just rolling the bike in neutral so valves are likely the cause.
why would you need a valve adjustment when you hear it even when the engine is not running?
(07-31-2013, 01:17 AM)Sfolkman Wrote: [ -> ]Just over 9000 miles. The noise is from the area of the transmission. I hear it best with the engine off and just rolling the bike in neutral so valves are likely the cause.

Hmmm
So, you can even hear it while off...
Sound in bikes is tricky, it can travel so it's difficult to figure out where exactly is coming from..
If you are sure it's down in the transmission, it can be a gear or clutch
Anyway u can post a video?
Sorry, for my bad typing. Valves are NOT the cause.
look nut driving pulley thing in her
(01-21-2014, 05:22 PM)Naruti4 Wrote: [ -> ]look nut driving pulley thing in her
do you need someone to call you a cab home?
(07-15-2013, 06:56 PM)Jimbo Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like it is coming from the transmission drive side. Seems to be related to the rear wheel rotation which in turn rotates the transmission gears. Can shut the engine off and roll forward and back in neutral and the knock is there. Knock went away about 2 weeks ago and has not returned. Has been to the local dealer and they could not duplicate the symptom. Checked output shaft and sprocket for tightness and shaft play, nothing unusual, nothing caught in the belt or sprockets. Any ideas are welcomed. Sure don't want to be 500 miles from home and have it seize up. In advance, thanks.
I reported this
Reported this to the mods? Or to Yamaha?
Pages: 1 2