Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Tubed Dunlop 404's without tube on cast wheels
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just bought a XVS 1100 and find that it has cast wheels suitable for tubeless tyres but is running tube type Dunlop 404's without a tube. Seems to be fine on the road, no handling problems just wondered whether this is ok. Any thoughts on this I will welcome. Rolleyes
do not know for sure, did not know there was a tube specific tire, i am running a tubeless with tubes as have spoked rims.
I run 404 they are tubless. I don't know but a cant see whar difference a tube would make

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
what a 1100 rider doing dunlaps? thought metzler was king.
Yeah I am goinh to try them next time but they are lot dearer than the 404

Sent from my GT-I9100T using Tapatalk 4
so how many miles you get out of the 404? believe metz miles outweigh most so the bit of price diff is made up. was looking at some shinkos just cause was cheaper, about 50 ea less than metz, but mile reports on them are about 1/3 of the metz, so get job new metz on the cc real quick as mine are done.
(09-18-2013, 09:25 AM)ecreek Wrote: [ -> ]Just bought a XVS 1100 and find that it has cast wheels suitable for tubeless tyres but is running tube type Dunlop 404's without a tube. Seems to be fine on the road, no handling problems just wondered whether this is ok. Any thoughts on this I will welcome. Rolleyes
I tried doing some research on running tube type tires on tubeless rims. For me the jury is out on this one. My findings were that tube type tires have different construction in the side walls and the beads and may not be good to run as a tubeless tires. Tube rims are also different in construction than tubeless type rims so, what may look like a rim that is OK to run tubeless, may not be. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
well think the 880 are tubeless, have to run tubes due to spoke rims, 3 years and almost 20,000 miles no issues. maybe the factory spoke rims are constructed just a bit different for the bead.
but yeah if had a tubeless rim, why put a tube type tire on there, are they cheaper as costs more to put the tube?
(09-18-2013, 04:57 PM)commonground Wrote: [ -> ]
(09-18-2013, 09:25 AM)ecreek Wrote: [ -> ]Just bought a XVS 1100 and find that it has cast wheels suitable for tubeless tyres but is running tube type Dunlop 404's without a tube. Seems to be fine on the road, no handling problems just wondered whether this is ok. Any thoughts on this I will welcome. Rolleyes
I tried doing some research on running tube type tires on tubeless rims. For me the jury is out on this one. My findings were that tube type tires have different construction in the side walls and the beads and may not be good to run as a tubeless tires. Tube rims are also different in construction than tubeless type rims so, what may look like a rim that is OK to run tubeless, may not be. I'd rather be safe than sorry.
@commonground what you say is true, tube type tyres are constructed differently to tubeless. It can be done but it is not advisable, I think that there is a warning on the sidewall somewhere. Running tubes in tubeless tyres is not a drama. A rim constructed to run tubeless tyres has a safety bead, which, when the tyre is fitted sits on the inner edge of the tyre and holds it against the outer edge of the rim, a majority of rims made today are constructed this way.

For my money, I would prefer to run tubeless tyres, without a tube unless I was running a spoked wheel, as they run cooler and you can usually repair a puncture on the side of the road. Whereas if you have a puncture with a tube type tyre you have to strip the tube out to fix it.

@ecreek if you're due for tyres, go tubeless and plumb for the Metzeler Marathon 888's you'll never look back.

Gibbo