Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Front Break Shake?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
All,

This is my third V-Star, my first 1100 though. And I notice something super weird when braking (front brake). The bike tends to, for lack of a better term, sort of shake when braking, even to the point I can feel the motion in the brake lever. Not sure if this makes any sense. No problem stopping, just weirdness.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows what this is or who has experienced this as well.

Thanks.
Sounds like a warped rotor.
(04-21-2015, 09:59 AM)indie_rocker Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds like a warped rotor.
Didn't think of that. I think you're exactly right. I'll get that checked out.
(04-21-2015, 09:50 AM)Idle Wrote: [ -> ]All,

This is my third V-Star, my first 1100 though. And I notice something super weird when braking (front brake). The bike tends to, for lack of a better term, sort of shake when braking, even to the point I can feel the motion in the brake lever. Not sure if this makes any sense. No problem stopping, just weirdness.

Would appreciate hearing from anyone who knows what this is or who has experienced this as well.

Thanks.
bike rotors warp easily any type of side impact even droping the bike will bend it slightly sometimes.
Rotors can also warp from heat...most late model larger vehicles are less prone to that because they've gone to "honeycomb" rotors that are very rigid and shed heat well. A lot of bikes still have simple metal disks perforated with holes and it's not hard to warp a "solid" rotor with uneven heating.
(04-21-2015, 06:58 PM)OldePhart Wrote: [ -> ]Rotors can also warp from heat...most late model larger vehicles are less prone to that because they've gone to "honeycomb" rotors that are very rigid and shed heat well. A lot of bikes still have simple metal disks perforated with holes and it's not hard to warp a "solid" rotor with uneven heating.
I hear ya that's I try use both brakes, some riders are afraid to step into the rear brake for fear of a skid, I can go pretty hard before that will happen. I do it so front isn't working so hard
Dealer's pretty sure most of the wear is on the right rotor. Brakes on that side are pretty worn down. I've ordered a new rotor and brake pads. Question: Should I replace both rotors/brake pads at the same time? Is that necessary?
If you can then yes replace both. I would also bleed the system out and check the left caliper for an obstruction in the line. It sounds like your getting uneven pressure to each side.
It's quite possible that the left side of the caliper has corroded and frozen up...it's not unusual especially if you get any water inside the seal or in the fluid.

If it were me I'd buy a seal kit for the caliper and rebuild it. It's not that expensive or difficult and it just doesn't make sense to spend the bucks for a new rotor and pads and then let the lack of a $2 seal ruin them again...

As for replacing the rotor and pads at the same time, absolutely yes. A grooved rotor will ruin new pads and heavily glazed or worn pads will wear the rotor.

Brakes are one of those areas that you really don't want to piecemeal the repair...not just because they are so critical for safety and handling but also because damage in one part will quickly wear out the other parts (that hypothetically seized caliper causing uneven wear of the pads and rotor, for example).
(04-28-2015, 03:34 PM)TwitchnRoadstar Wrote: [ -> ]If you can then yes replace both. I would also bleed the system out and check the left caliper for an obstruction in the line. It sounds like your getting uneven pressure to each si