Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Idle Adjust Cable Connection
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
So i am new to motorcycles and any kind of home maintenance on any sort of engine. I recently took apart the Carb and totally removed it recently. The jets were completely clogged, but i managed to clean it all out. Even replaced those terrible OEM screws on the carb with stainless steel ones to avoid any future problems. But it seems i made a big newbie mistake. I did not take enough pictures while taking the carb out. I was able to remember and had enough pictures to hook up everything else, but there is one thing i couldn't remember or figure out. The idle adjustor. Can anyone explain to me where this hooks in? I see that it ends in with a threaded tip, but no idea what hooks onto it, or if it is supposed to be threaded in somewhere. Looking forward to picking some brains on this. Biggrin

[attachment=2076]

Also, Ill be working on this today and double and TRIPLE checking everything else. She wants to start. Starting her up she puffs a little and you can here that there is a slight combustion happening but then you get nothing. After waiting five or so minutes you get another slight combustion but it just cant quite hold it. Will update if i find anything else that is questionable.
(04-21-2015, 07:48 PM)joeserge Wrote: [ -> ]So i am new to motorcycles and any kind of home maintenance on any sort of engine. I recently took apart the Carb and totally removed it recently. The jets were completely clogged, but i managed to clean it all out. Even replaced those terrible OEM screws on the carb with stainless steel ones to avoid any future problems. But it seems i made a big newbie mistake. I did not take enough pictures while taking the carb out. I was able to remember and had enough pictures to hook up everything else, but there is one thing i couldn't remember or figure out. The idle adjustor. Can anyone explain to me where this hooks in? I see that it ends in with a threaded tip, but no idea what hooks onto it, or if it is supposed to be threaded in somewhere. Looking forward to picking some brains on this. Biggrin

Also, Ill be working on this today and double and TRIPLE checking everything else. She wants to start. Starting her up she puffs a little and you can here that there is a slight combustion happening but then you get nothing. After waiting five or so minutes you get another slight combustion but it just cant quite hold it. Will update if i find anything else that is questionable.
what position is the choke knob when slight combustion is happening
(04-21-2015, 07:48 PM)joeserge Wrote: [ -> ]So i am new to motorcycles and any kind of home maintenance on any sort of engine. I recently took apart the Carb and totally removed it recently. The jets were completely clogged, but i managed to clean it all out. Even replaced those terrible OEM screws on the carb with stainless steel ones to avoid any future problems. But it seems i made a big newbie mistake. I did not take enough pictures while taking the carb out. I was able to remember and had enough pictures to hook up everything else, but there is one thing i couldn't remember or figure out. The idle adjustor. Can anyone explain to me where this hooks in? I see that it ends in with a threaded tip, but no idea what hooks onto it, or if it is supposed to be threaded in somewhere. Looking forward to picking some brains on this. Biggrin

Just a thought...is that a picture you took or something you found on the internet? I notice that the fuel petcock is in off...that could give exactly the condition you're describing where it will try to start but quickly die, then do so again a few minutes later...
(04-21-2015, 10:13 PM)pauli466 Wrote: [ -> ]

what position is the choke knob when slight combustion is happening
Usually its fully open choke. But i have noticed sometimes that with the choke off it seems like the combustion is slightly stronger but doesn't seem to have any hope of going to an idle. Also this is just a picture i found online.
Well i ended up having a dealer pick it up and work on it. Repair invoice reads as follows: CHOKE CABLE WAS DISCONNECTED AND INCORRECTLY ROUTED THROTTLE SHAFTS WERE STICKING. CORRECTED NUMEROUS CARB,AIR FILTER, HOSES ISSUES. CHARGED BATTERY, SET TIRES, ADJUSTED REAR BRAKES. So long story short. Next time, ill have someone who knows what they are doing to clean the carb. Thanks for your time those that replied!
Don't feel too bad...we all started somewhere... :)

Don't even ask me about the time I put freeze plugs into the water-pump ports on a Dodge 318 block after it came back from the machine shop... (Hey...they looked just like the holes that were supposed to have freeze plugs...)