Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Not sure what's wrong...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Hi everyone.
I purchased a 2003 V-Star 650 custom last year. it had about 6500Km on the odometer. I put on over 7000Km without having any issues. This year, about a month ago I started having some issues. The engine would seen like it was missing petrol for a split second. It would run rough as if it was running on one cylinder.

I changed the oil and filter, checked the spark plugs and changed them and then it ran fine for 4 days. Not sure if what I did helped or i got lucky. I brought it to a mechanic and he told me that my valves needed to be adjusted so I did that. But I really didn't like the way they did business so that was the only work done. Not the mechanics but everybody else you had to deal with.

I also checked the petrol for dirt. Nothing.

Now what I hate is that I can't find anything that's common to the issue. It's not only in the morning. Not only when it's cold. I'll go for 2 days trouble free then I'll be riding and get to a stop light and the engine cuts outs. It will start up right away and then run rough for that second or two. Having to keep on the throttle so it doesn't cut out again.

Any help you be appreciated. Thank you very much.
It really sounds like you have dirty carbs...
It might be just a little something chugging one of the jets.
You can try sea foam and see if it goes away otherwise a carb cleaning is due.
Thanks. I'm guessing if it were something serious it would happen alot more often.
(05-29-2015, 04:41 PM)Maustarman Wrote: [ -> ]It really sounds like you have dirty carbs...
It might be just a little something chugging one of the jets.
You can try sea foam and see if it goes away otherwise a carb cleaning is due.
Yes... But you want to take care of it before it really clogs the jets
You didn't mention changing the fuel filter... If you haven't done so then I would do so ASAP. Then, +1 on Sea Foam...I'd use it for at least two tanks of fuel, with about 1oz per gallon of fuel.
(05-29-2015, 02:12 PM)KenMedeiros Wrote: [ -> ]Hi everyone.
I purchased a 2003 V-Star 650 custom last year. it had about 6500Km on the odometer. I put on over 7000Km without having any issues. This year, about a month ago I started having some issues. The engine would seen like it was missing petrol for a split second. It would run rough as if it was running on one cylinder.

I changed the oil and filter, checked the spark plugs and changed them and then it ran fine for 4 days. Not sure if what I did helped or i got lucky. I brought it to a mechanic and he told me that my valves needed to be adjusted so I did that. But I really didn't like the way they did business so that was the only work done. Not the mechanics but everybody else you had to deal with.

I also checked the petrol for dirt. Nothing.

Now what I hate is that I can't find anything that's common to the issue. It's not only in the morning. Not only when it's cold. I'll go for 2 days trouble free then I'll be riding and get to a stop light and the engine cuts outs. It will start up right away and then run rough for that second or two. Having to keep on the throttle so it doesn't cut out again.

Any help you be appreciated. Thank you very much.
mine did the exact same thing before the pickup failed completely. temp changes really mess with em when they are on their way out. eng acts like fuel starvation when its actually spark starvation. don't mess with carbs until you ohms test that pick up test it hot and cold. let us know what you find.
@pauli466 sorry, the pickup? huh? maybe too many job apps and interviews lately not getting it, so brain is getting fried, please explain.
(05-29-2015, 06:50 PM)Keith Wrote: [ -> ]@pauli466 sorry, the pickup? huh? maybe too many job apps and interviews lately not getting it, so brain is getting fried, please explain.
the pick up is the trigger to fire the coils if the signal from the pick up is open or weak the coils wont fire correctly sometimes not at all. that pick is one of the most common failures on electronic ignitions more so when they are in hot oil. theres a wire inside the pick up kinda like a spring so it's capable of making itermitint contact at certain temps and vibrations when broken

(05-29-2015, 06:59 PM)pauli466 Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-29-2015, 06:50 PM)Keith Wrote: [ -> ]@pauli466 sorry, the pickup? huh? maybe too many job apps and interviews lately not getting it, so brain is getting fried, please explain.
the pick up is the trigger to fire the coils if the signal from the pick up is open or weak the coils wont fire correctly sometimes not at all. that pick is one of the most common failures on electronic ignitions more so when they are in hot oil. theres a wire inside the pick up kinda like a spring so it's capable of making itermitint contact at certain temps and vibrations when broken
an ignition miss is often mistaken for a fuel problem is what im saying. as it takes 5 min to check a pick up i would go there first.

an ignition miss is often mistaken for a fuel problem is what im saying. as it takes 5 min to check a pick up i would go there first.
for a goof i tested my bad one on my bench it tested good. then i put a hairdryer to it and it failed totaly-it actualy went into an open when hot.
Thanks alot everybody. Really means alot.

I will try the Sea Foam. I need to find the fuel filter because I didn't change it.
Let me state that I'm not a mechanic just going by my gut here but I don't think it's electrical or related to heat or cold... because I've ran it in cold weather at the start of the season and it ran fine. Then 2 days later same weather and it ran rough. There does not seem to be a pattern. And I say rough, it's not on start up then it runs rough, it's riding it and then out of the blue it seems like it lacks either petrol or air. It will last for a second or two. Or at a stop light it will just cut out but it will fire up right away. So I will try and clean out the carbs. I'll get myself some sea foam and this Sunday, I'll going over to my Dad's place and we'll try and check things out.

Once again thanks everybody for the help.
I'll keep you all posted so it might help someone else with the same issue.

for a goof i tested my bad one on my bench it tested good. then i put a hairdryer to it and it failed totaly-it actualy went into an open when hot.
Any luck finding out what's wrong? My bike is having similar issues. I've completely cleaned both carbs. I'm wondering if it is the pickup coil.
Thanks!
Last Sunday I took my bike to my Dad's place. He's got more tools than I. We lifted the gas tank. Checked the fuel filter. It was fine. Then I went and fill up my tank. Full tank is about 16Liters so about 4 gallons. I then added abt 5oz of Sea Foam. I ran the bike for about 10 miles and it ran really rough. I guess I need to run it longer for the product to clean the carbs and stuff. But it's running too rough for me. This Friday I'm taking the bike to the shop and the guy I spoke to did tell me that it might not even be the carbs that it could be the coils or pickup coils???? That he has changed a few of them. They seem to go wonky when they get hot.

I just want the bike to run nicely. I take the thing on long rides in the summer and right now it's just in my garage.

I'll update when I get an answer for the shop.

Thanks
(06-02-2015, 03:01 PM)Displaced Wrote: [ -> ]Any luck finding out what's wrong? My bike is having similar issues. I've completely cleaned both carbs. I'm wondering if it is the pickup coil.
Thanks!
(06-02-2015, 09:46 PM)KenMedeiros Wrote: [ -> ]Last Sunday I took my bike to my Dad's place. He's got more tools than I. We lifted the gas tank. Checked the fuel filter. It was fine. Then I went and fill up my tank. Full tank is about 16Liters so about 4 gallons. I then added abt 5oz of Sea Foam. I ran the bike for about 10 miles and it ran really rough. I guess I need to run it longer for the product to clean the carbs and stuff.

I bought a 2011 "held over" new bike in 2013. It had something like 5 miles on the odometer, so it hadn't even been test ridden much. It ran fairly poorly, especially when cold. I'm sure the gas in the tank (and carbs) was probably two years old and on top of that it didn't have more than a gallon in it (just as well, as I didn't have to drain it). It took about two full tanks with Sea Foam before it really ran the way it should.
(05-29-2015, 07:44 PM)KenMedeiros Wrote: [ -> ]Thanks alot everybody. Really means alot.

I will try the Sea Foam. I need to find the fuel filter because I didn't change it.
Let me state that I'm not a mechanic just going by my gut here but I don't think it's electrical or related to heat or cold... because I've ran it in cold weather at the start of the season and it ran fine. Then 2 days later same weather and it ran rough. There does not seem to be a pattern. And I say rough, it's not on start up then it runs rough, it's riding it and then out of the blue it seems like it lacks either petrol or air. It will last for a second or two. Or at a stop light it will just cut out but it will fire up right away. So I will try and clean out the carbs. I'll get myself some sea foam and this Sunday, I'll going over to my Dad's place and we'll try and check things out.

Once again thanks everybody for the help.
I'll keep you all posted so it might help someone else with the same issue.

I just got done replacing the pickup coil on my 2008, 650. It did some strange stuff on its way out and is absolutely temperature sensitive. I would have a hard time getting the bike started then once she got going, it would run and start fine all day after that. This went on for a couple weeks; I thought it was just time to change spark plugs and air filter. Turns out my pickup coil was slowly dying. As Pauli has said, it is an easy check.
Well just to let you all know that my bike is fixed. They found a connector that got loose and corroded a bit because of water. It would mess up the firing for my front cylinder. Not exactly related to the pickup coil but it's part of the wiring. They cleaned the connector, tightened it and did the same to the other one. The dealer I went to is just top notch. I dropped it there Thursday night and Friday in the afternoon they had found what was messed up. So I'm a very happy biker.
Thanks for all your help and ideas.
(06-06-2015, 10:51 PM)KenMedeiros Wrote: [ -> ]Well just to let you all know that my bike is fixed. They found a connector that got loose and corroded a bit because of water. It would mess up the firing for my front cylinder. Not exactly related to the pickup coil but it's part of the wiring. They cleaned the connector, tightened it and did the same to the other one. The dealer I went to is just top notch. I dropped it there Thursday night and Friday in the afternoon they had found what was messed up. So I'm a very happy biker.
Thanks for all your help and ideas.
i wish they told you exactly what connector it was so i can keep an eye on mine.
Pages: 1 2