Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Can I replace my engine?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm very new to owning bikes. My bike broke down on me about a week ago and the mechanic diagnosed the problem to a bent push rod that did a lot of damage and ultimately the bike needs a new engine. I've found a suitable replacement on ebay, but my main question is if it would be possible to do the work myself along with two friends that have experience working on bikes. The bike is a 2000 and the engine is a 650. The reason I want to attempt to do the work myself because I was quoted by my mechanic at approximately 8-11 hours of labor at $90/hr (which I just do not have) so at this point I feel that there is not too much to lose and was wondering if anyone had any experience replacing an engine. I have the service manual and the internet and a desire to have my only mode of transportation up and running again any advice?
(06-04-2015, 03:36 AM)eldonfavio Wrote: [ -> ]I'm very new to owning bikes. My bike broke down on me about a week ago and the mechanic diagnosed the problem to a bent push rod that did a lot of damage and ultimately the bike needs a new engine. I've found a suitable replacement on ebay, but my main question is if it would be possible to do the work myself along with two friends that have experience working on bikes. The bike is a 2000 and the engine is a 650. The reason I want to attempt to do the work myself because I was quoted by my mechanic at approximately 8-11 hours of labor at $90/hr (which I just do not have) so at this point I feel that there is not too much to lose and was wondering if anyone had any experience replacing an engine. I have the service manual and the internet and a desire to have my only mode of transportation up and running again any advice?
who's the mechanic? these engines do not have PUSH RODS they use overhead camshafts. get yourself a clymer manual before you do anything!! cheaper to buy a low mileage engine on e-bay around 800.00 bucks. vs 1000 and up for a rebuild.
@eldonfavio
Yes, you can do it.
I've done at least 3 all by my self so you and two friends should be easy.
The time consuming part is taking off all the stuff in the way: Tank,carbs,air cleaner etc etc and disconnecting the harness.
When you do that ...the swapping of the engine takes less than 1 hour and than time to put everything back together.
To make your job easier you need to:
1a-Get a Manual
1b-Be VERY organized (anything you take off make a note where you got it from and how it was mounted etc)
2-take pics (take multiple pics of things before you disassemble them so you can go back and check if something doesn't look right)
3-Double check your work (you don't want loose parts when you take your bike for a ride so check twice and 3 times before you call it a day.

Disclaimer: I'm not a mechanic... I just happen to have done a bunch of these babies.
As a matter of fact I'll be doing another one in July... Got a sick 650 custom and I just scored a 2009 engine on eBay with only 3k miles for $350 +$150 shipping. :)
Comes dyno tested and 3 month warranty.
I think this time I'll be doing a complete video in how to do the whole process.

Maurice
Are you sure that mechanic said a bent push rod? Did he maybe say bent connecting rod? Huge difference and, as Pauli notes, all the V* bikes use overhead cams, not push rods.

Let's assume for the moment that the mechanic is correct and the engine really is toast. Unless the bike is absolutely pristine and low mileage (pretty unlikely given the age and the fact that the engine is a pile of parts) it would probably be smarter to part the bike out and find another. It just doesn't make sense to put $1k or more into replacing an engine in a bike that isn't worth much more than that. (KBB retail is $2100, trade is $1400 if the bike is in excellent condition.)

John
@eldonfavio
Are you located in the Bay area?
(06-04-2015, 07:31 AM)pauli466 Wrote: [ -> ]I meant a bent connecting rod. The option I was considering was purchasing an engine on ebay.
(06-04-2015, 03:36 AM)eldonfavio Wrote: [ -> ]I'm very new to owning bikes. My bike broke down on me about a week ago and the mechanic diagnosed the problem to a bent push rod that did a lot of damage and ultimately the bike needs a new engine. I've found a suitable replacement on ebay, but my main question is if it would be possible to do the work myself along with two friends that have experience working on bikes. The bike is a 2000 and the engine is a 650. The reason I want to attempt to do the work myself because I was quoted by my mechanic at approximately 8-11 hours of labor at $90/hr (which I just do not have) so at this point I feel that there is not too much to lose and was wondering if anyone had any experience replacing an engine. I have the service manual and the internet and a desire to have my only mode of transportation up and running again any advice?
who's the mechanic? these engines do not have PUSH RODS they use overhead camshafts. get yourself a clymer manual before you do anything!! cheaper to buy a low mileage engine on e-bay around 800.00 bucks. vs 1000 and up for a rebuild.

(06-04-2015, 10:04 AM)Maustarman Wrote: [ -> ]@eldonfavio
Are you located in the Bay area?
Yes I am
@eldonfavio
I'm in Danville about 30 minutes from redwood city.
Let me know if I can be of help
If I were to sell it for parts, where could I go about doing that? The bike isn't in pristine condition, just currently buying a new engine and doing the work at home seems more within the range of affordability than getting a new bike.
PM sent

@eldonfavio
I just sent you a private message.

Now.. Parting out a bike has its pros and cons..
Pros: you might be able to get a couple more $$
Cons: you have to work on taking the parts apart. And sometimes the amount of work for how much more you'll get to part it out isn't worth it.
Selling local is less of a pain so Craigslist is the way to go there... But your clientele will be much more reduced and can't take a long time to sell all the parts.
eBay will give you a broader market but you have to pay eBay and PayPal fees plus pack and ship stuff so it's time consuming.
Summary:
Selling local all in one piece is the way to go.
(06-04-2015, 10:40 AM)Maustarman Wrote: [ -> ]@eldonfavio
I'm in Danville about 30 minutes from redwood city.
Let me know if I can be of help
your right if he parts it out he may make enough for a running 650. i bought one with no rear tire or differential for 1000 put a used one on for 500 and sold it 2500. also his mechanic is talking about bent push rods that don't exist. so it could be something wrong that's easily repaired. if it were me i'd find out exactly what's broken before making a decision.
To follow up with this thread a bit, I'm currently in the process of swapping out the engine myself. I'm currently dealing with 2 rusted bolts connecting the exhaust to the body on the left side and two rusted nuts on the front side, aside from that I suppose I had a few questions regarding the installation. Are there any steps I will need to take when reinstalling the carburetor in order to make sure everything runs proper or could it simply be plug and go?
using the current carb? I would take it apart at least enough to clean it, check the diaphragms and seals, ensure the needles are properly set, etc.
Another follow up, after finally having enough time and replacing some nuts and bolts that were too rusted to put back on the bike I finally have it running again. There is one issue though, there's smoke coming from the two connections where the exhaust pipes connect to the cylinder heads. I replaced the three gaskets that connect the exhaust pipes to the heads so now I'm curious as to what issue this could possibly be.
It's not unusual for preservative grease to burn off the gaskets. If it smokes for longer than a few minutes or gushes out tons of smoke that's not normal, though.
As soon as I saw smoke I turned it off. I'll let it run for a few minutes and follow up if anyone is interested. This has certainly been a great project and has taught me some things about maintenance.
Pages: 1 2