Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Loud clanging sound, speedometer quit
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Howdy all! I have a 2006 Vstar 1100 which I have ridden almost daily for 3 years now. Yesterday something happened that has me puzzled and very worried. Hopefully someone can help me figure it out.... I pulled out of a parking lot onto the road and suddenly this very loud noise was coming from my bike, either from the front or middle section! I seriously thought the engine was fixing to blow! I quickly pulled over and shut it off. After a couple minutes I started it again and now it sounded completely normal, so we decided to head home. A few minutes later I noticed the speedometer was no longer working. Any ideas?

had that happen on a kaw 1000 a camshaft bolt had come out and was bouncing around, ended up impaling itself through the head.
Was it still making the noise when you pulled over and stopped but before you shut the engine off? If so the engine needs to be checked for sure.

If the noise stopped when the bike stopped moving I'd guess maybe the Speedo cable broke since the speedo isn't working.
(07-08-2015, 11:00 AM)OldePhart Wrote: [ -> ]Was it still making the noise when you pulled over and stopped but before you shut the engine off? If so the engine needs to be checked for sure.

If the noise stopped when the bike stopped moving I'd guess maybe the Speedo cable broke since the speedo isn't working.
1100 has a speed sensor ,when the driveshaft lets go it damages the speed sensor, no cable, if it is the midshaft there is a $50.00 repair procedure in the kb,link i posted.