Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: valve adjustment
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Good afternoon all, I have a 2007 vstar 1300 I bought with 15K miles. Previous owner had told me he did not do valve adjustment at last increment. So I took it into local (San Antonio) dealer and had valve adjustment done. 3 days after I got it back top end rattle was louder than before I had work done. Dealer tells me "thats being a metric bike". Could his adjustment have backed off. Can anyone recommend a mech here that can put an ear to this and tell me whats going on with it. Thanks everyone.
Welcome to the forum from here in
Northwest Illinois. Happy to have you join us and look forward to
reading your posts and seeing pics of your bike. We have a lot of
knowledgeable and helpful people here to help with your mods and to
answer all your questions. Post often and ride safe.
They clatter a little especially when cold and it's better to be a little lose than too tight. Also, is it really a clatter you're hearing or more of a whir-swish-rattle? The chain driven overhead cams on these things are pretty darned noisy...so noisy that until I put aftermarket pipes on you could hear the "sewing machine" sound of the valve train over the exhaust in my ride videos!

That said, if it's a "tapping" sound that doesn't quiet to normal when the engine warms up I'm betting that they adjusted the valves with the engine hot.

How long did you have to leave the bike in the shop? If they did it in an hour or so while you waited after riding it in then they definitely adjusted them hot. It takes about two-hours with a large fan blowing on the heads to cool to the temperature that it should be adjusted. Most of the time when a shop is going to do the valve adjustment they want you to leave the bike overnight or drop it off really early in the morning and not pick it up until late afternoon.

Which brings up the point...I don't understand why manufacturer's specify only the cold temperature clearance. You would think they would have a real good idea what the clearance should be both cold and hot and be able to provide that information in the maintenance manual...
some swear by valve adjustment, never have done it to mine, doubt prior owner had it done as she only had 12k on her when I got her. then we run into the issue of what mechanic would you trust, have not found one yet for a bike that I trust. as long as she is running good as she is, think better to just leave it be for me anyways.
(07-11-2015, 03:54 PM)Keith Wrote: [ -> ]some swear by valve adjustment, never have done it to mine, doubt prior owner had it done as she only had 12k on her when I got her. then we run into the issue of what mechanic would you trust, have not found one yet for a bike that I trust. as long as she is running good as she is, think better to just leave it be for me anyways.
performance is best when valves are set to the low side of the specs. low specs are 2.8 thou for the intakes and 4.7 thou for the exhaust. i set mine at 3 thou intake and 5 thou exhaust and there's no valve noise even when very hot. if i adjust any wider the engine sounds like a sewing machine when hot , if real hot it sounds like it,s ready to fall apart. i'm not telling anybody where to set valve clearances, i'm just telling what works for my 650
Guys thanks for the response! Im not sure what the mech set em at, I will see if the service department maintains that data. Mine is quite as a church house mouse when cold,,,,,warmed up and with about 10 riding time it sounds loud, to me, (half def ol navy dude) sold lifter in the old hot rods we use to build. Thanks again gents, if you hit SA, let me know.