Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: Throttle Question
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I have a 2007 1300 Tourer with 20k miles. It runs well and actually seems to get better gas mileage the older it gets, however, it seems to me that the throttle roll is not very smooth. As I back off to go through turns or curves and then try to roll back on the throttle it always feels like I am "goosing" the throttle and it wants to jump like I am trying to get through wherever I am rolling through very quickly rather than very smoothly. Can I adjust the throttle in some way to make it more of a smoother roll on the throttle again?

Thanks all.
Welcome to the forum. Is this something that has only started happening recently or has it been this way as long as you've had the bike?

If you're talking about throttle response solely, and the throttle grip itself rotates normally, then a general tuneup might be in order if this is new behavior.

If you're shifting down to get engine braking approaching those turns she's going to be ready to rip when you begin opening the throttle on the other side. If the throttle rotates smoothly and power seems to follow the throttle position then it's just a matter of developing "the touch" for the bike. If power doesn't follow throttle position then you may have an issue.

Also, I don't know how long you've been riding but a lot of beginners (for that matter, some guys I know who have been riding for years) grab too much throttle and it makes it very difficult to control the throttle precisely under acceleration. With the throttle rolled all the way off and your hand on the grip the back of your hand should be basically parallel with the ground, give or take a little. Your wrist should move down and forward a little as the throttle is opened.

If you grip too high on the throttle then when the bike accelerates and "pushes you back" your hand will tend to straighten, rolling on even more throttle. If you've ever seen somebody accelerate uncontrollably and have the bike ride out from under them that is generally the cause. This is basically positive mechanical feedback and any system with positive feedback tends toward instability; whether you're talking about the electronics of an audio amplifier or the mechanics of operating some mechanism.

If your hand is basically straight at idle and the wrist has to move forward some to accelerate then you have a mechanical negative feedback thing going on where heavy acceleration actually wants to roll the throttle off some. Any system with negative feedback is far more precise and controlled than one without.

So, negative feedback is your friend...unless you're trying to make a guitar amplifier squeal!

John