Yamaha V Star Forum

Full Version: RPM increses by itself just past idle
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Hi Everyone,
I just purchased my first bike last week (2003 v star 1100 Classic) and was noticing that I was having a bitch of a time with low speed maneuvers on the road. So I started poking around in the garage on the bike and noticed that from idle, if you give the bike a little throttle to bring the RPMs up a few hundred and hold it there for a second or two, the motor takes off by itself and increase by about 500-1000 rpm. I'm thinking its an issue with the carbs, maybe float needs adjustment but not quit sure. The previous owner did not ride it very much in the last year. Maybe its just gummed up in the carbs and a can or two of seafoam could take care if it?. Has anybody experienced this before?

Thanks.
https://sites.google.com/site/vstar1100k...st-do-list carbs may be out of sinc. scroll down to the tuning section
(06-13-2016, 12:12 PM)trippplejt Wrote: [ -> ]Hi Everyone,
I just purchased my first bike last week (2003 v star 1100 Classic) and was noticing that I was having a bitch of a time with low speed maneuvers on the road. So I started poking around in the garage on the bike and noticed that from idle, if you give the bike a little throttle to bring the RPMs up a few hundred and hold it there for a second or two, the motor takes off by itself and increase by about 500-1000 rpm. I'm thinking its an issue with the carbs, maybe float needs adjustment but not quit sure. The previous owner did not ride it very much in the last year. Maybe its just gummed up in the carbs and a can or two of seafoam could take care if it?. Has anybody experienced this before?

Thanks.
sounds like a vacuum leak check the sync port vacuum nipples, my leaked at the one with cap on it. the rubber cap swelled and got hard from engine heat
I also had leaks but was the boots from the carbs on the 1100.
(06-15-2016, 07:29 PM)Keith Wrote: [ -> ]I also had leaks but was the boots from the carbs on the 1100.
Did you experience the same symptoms as i described above?
(06-15-2016, 08:07 PM)trippplejt Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-15-2016, 07:29 PM)Keith Wrote: [ -> ]I also had leaks but was the boots from the carbs on the 1100.
Did you experience the same symptoms as i described above?

Gracie had that issue after i got gas in Mexico. pulled carb and cleaned really good ran seafoam and no more problems now before i cross border i fill tank and throw a can of sea foam in bags and pour that in when i fuel up to get home.

Kimberly aka Queen of Plasti-Dip Freaks.
Gracie 2007 RoadStar 1700