Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
06-17-2013, 10:04 PM,
What speed do you cruise at? How fast is too fast?
Just out of curiosity...and as a new rider of cruisers...I've noticed I don't feel comfortable taking the bike past 70mph. In fact, around 80 is when I feel like the engine is screaming and the rattling at the handlebars is excessive to where I don't have a clear side view mirror image. Is this normal?

haha, keep in mind I'm coming from a sport bike where doing 80-90mph feels like nothing. And it's not that I'm speeding on purpose! It's because the flow of traffic around DC is about 80mph...so I'm just trying to stay slightly ahead of these crazy ass drivers!

On the cruiser, I can't stay in the fast lane because I feel like I can't keep it at 85 mph or it's gonna blow! and I hate riding in any other lane except the fast lane...too many more variables to add to the accident equation!

I just need someone to tell me it'll be alright...

and also a hug. cars were bullying me all day today. :(

haha
06-17-2013, 11:28 PM,
RE: What speed do you cruise at? How fast is too fast?
disregard, found this same discussion on another vstar forum.
06-18-2013, 12:17 AM,
When I highway cruise I usually go between 65 and 70... around 100 is when everything starts buzzing haha but I've never been worried.

My 250 I had at around 70 it felt like it would blow haha
LoLrcycle rider Cool
06-18-2013, 01:02 AM,
Which star do you have . on my 650 70 was comfertable for 15-20mi 80+was wound up a bit. on my new to me 950 70 is common place for all dayriding.
06-18-2013, 02:16 AM,
First, you don't have to be in the left lane. ;). Technically it's supposed to be a passing lane only. Not sure when people started referring to it as a "fast" lane. Statistically, I don't think you'd have any more chance of avoiding an accident no matter which lane you're in. You do have cars exiting and entering the highway in the right lane, but if you get into trouble you have somewhere to go. Your screwed in the left lane. I try and stay in the center if I can.

Second, just go the speed limit. Unless its 80mph where you live. If 80 is your forte, you might have the wrong bike. Lol.

Seriously though, just ride. You don't have to be a speed demon all the time. And if you feel like that, just jump on the sport bike and go bully the cars back for a while.
06-18-2013, 03:01 AM,
What speed do you cruise at? How fast is too fast?
I always hover just above the speed limit. Can't help it. In Washington, the state, the max speed lit is 70 mph. On a stretch in Idaho, I've seen 75 mph as the limit. Don't know why anyone really needs to drive 80 mph all the time. I just "cruise".
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
06-18-2013, 04:50 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013, 05:26 AM by Cambo.)
(06-18-2013, 01:02 AM)wrktrk Wrote: Which star do you have . on my 650 70 was comfertable for 15-20mi 80+was wound up a bit. on my new to me 950 70 is common place for all dayriding.

I have an 1100...and all these responses are the same as what the others were saying on the other forum too. That it can basically do 80-90 mph and be fine...it'll shake for sure...but it's nothing to worry about. However, most cruise around 65-70.

(06-18-2013, 02:16 AM)moze229 Wrote: First, you don't have to be in the left lane. ;). Technically it's supposed to be a passing lane only. Not sure when people started referring to it as a "fast" lane. Statistically, I don't think you'd have any more chance of avoiding an accident no matter which lane you're in. You do have cars exiting and entering the highway in the right lane, but if you get into trouble you have somewhere to go. Your screwed in the left lane. I try and stay in the center if I can.

Second, just go the speed limit. Unless its 80mph where you live. If 80 is your forte, you might have the wrong bike. Lol.

Seriously though, just ride. You don't have to be a speed demon all the time. And if you feel like that, just jump on the sport bike and go bully the cars back for a while.

lol, believe me, I WISH I could just do the speed limit or maybe a little over. And I am so far from a speed demon it's not even funny. And being someone who's never gotten a ticket in his life confirms this haha

However, on a bike, in DC...doing the speed limit will literally get you killed. You have to ride like you're invisible around here, because the second you let your guard down and think folks see you...you're getting rear ended or clipped. It's happened to too many friends of mine unfortunately. I hate riding defensively...which to cagers...seems aggressive...it's very ironic I know. But there are just too many silver spooned, self-centered jack asses around here that care more about texting and updating facebook statuses than paying attention to that 4 ton bullet their steering!

Anyway, off my soap box. All that to say, I don't speed because I want to or enjoy it lol, it's because I have to. Believe me...I LOVE the 5am weekend morning commutes to work where it's just myself and 3 other cars and I can just set it at 55 and enjoy the ride. It's really the only time I enjoy riding.

And I dunno, my balls aren't big enough for the center lane yet lol. Too many angles of attack for the cagers. I like to limit it to 2 for now ;)
06-18-2013, 07:52 AM, (This post was last modified: 06-18-2013, 10:39 AM by commonground.)
Well, I guess I'll throw in my two cents here. Being retired for four and a half years and having just started riding two and a half years ago. I have a very different philosophy. I ride everyday that it is above 40 degrees and not raining or snowing. I ride the speed limit when I get on the big roads but, I only ride the big roads once or twice a year. I ride the country roads here in south eastern PA the rest of the time, which are winding hilly two lane roads. Many of the curves are marked 15 mph. I may get the bike up to 55 or 60 on a straight away once in a while and that's OK with me. I don't live in the fast lane but, I do ride in excess of 10,000 miles a year.

For many years I inserted myself into the herd of idiots to drive 120 miles round trip on the super roads every work day. I was in a four wheeler and had to watch my 12, 3, 6, & 9 o'clock constantly. Now I shun the big roads. At the speeds I ride, I can smell the honeysuckle or the cow shit but, it's a welcome smell compared to the exhaust fumes while sitting in a traffic jam or the smell of burning rubber from sudden stops. I ride with a full face helmet, a padded jacket, gloves, boots, jeans and don't look for things to blow my hair back. I read the original post and it made me sweat. Lol Blush BTW that is one good looking bike.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
04-27-2014, 04:24 PM,
Those folks around DC are crazy anyway. Even if your in a cage those rat race maniacs will run you over. I have a sister that lives up there. I hate to visit just for that reason
04-27-2014, 05:59 PM,
rocket riders are a diff breed, bud is one, was just saying was doing 120 the other day with his wife on the bike with him. on a consistent basis i only do the side roads so 40-50 is the speed i am going, that can be 5-15 over depending on the street.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

04-27-2014, 10:41 PM,
@moze229 and for everyone here in the states
http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-lane-pa...-state-map
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

04-28-2014, 07:48 AM, (This post was last modified: 04-28-2014, 08:05 AM by commonground.)
(04-27-2014, 10:41 PM)ET_Geckoe Wrote: @moze229 and for everyone here in the states
http://jalopnik.com/5501615/left-lane-pa...-state-map
Thanks good information. One early morning before daylight I was in the far left lane (six lane divided) staying with the traffic, so was the cop behind me. He pulled me over and gave me a speeding ticket (65 in 55 zone). Before we parted ways I said, "Do you see anyone else out there doing the speed limit?" He looked at me and said, "The speed limit is 55". I paid my fine and now watch my six much closer. Confused

Keeping with the thread title, I usually cruise at the speed limit or a little over if my stopping distance is within my sight distance.
04-28-2014, 04:43 PM,
Not fast enough for @Gibbo.......
I must be a snail.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
There is great need for a sarcasm font.
04-28-2014, 07:12 PM,
(04-28-2014, 04:43 PM)SnaykByte Wrote: Not fast enough for @Gibbo.......
I must be a snail.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
Who's @Gibbo? Smile
04-28-2014, 08:04 PM,
It depends. There are roads here where only going the speed limit is dangerous too. If I'm alone (no one around) I can be going 10 under the speed limit or 10 over without realizing it. With traffic around I just go with the flow.
The 1300 is so much smoother than my shadow that it is pretty easy to be well over the speed limit without realizing it.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pics of cruise on Long Island. judo rider 4 3,230 08-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Last Post: here to learn 1300