Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
01-12-2014, 10:10 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-12-2014, 10:14 PM by Cambo.)
Poor Man's Bobber Seat
So this is the last "poor man's" piece in my bobber build.

Found the seat (it's a La Rosa) for cheap on ebay. 50 bucks for seat and another 15 for the mounting bracket. I found some sheet metal that I'll cut to make a cover under the seat with...and then I'll use a slightly stiffer piece of metal that I found at home depot in the "build a deck" section as mounting bracket for the springs. I wish I had maustarman's skills...would've been much cheaper!

But this is more or less how she'll look (minus the tank).

All that's left to do is a PCS Thugstar (I was debating between the Thugstar and the Curburner but the thugstar looks too cool so I'm going with that)...and the chubby air pod kit thing from SS custom cycles. I'm debating an HID retrofit...but I'm tring to mod an F150 and a mini cooper at the same time and g'damnit I need to win the lottery.

she won't be pretty...but she'll get me from A to B. yeah and screw that rear fender, it's a POS, I'm going to rip it off later. I'm just not going to have a rear fender haha.

[Image: CAM00531.jpg]

[Image: CAM00530.jpg]
01-12-2014, 11:51 PM,
Poor Man's Bobber Seat
Man... Looking good!
LePera seats are good looking and you got a good deal that's for sure..

Can't wait to see it all together .
01-13-2014, 03:38 AM,
RE: Poor Man's Bobber Seat
@Cambo I echo @Maustarman fabulous.

Gibbo
01-14-2014, 04:07 PM,
Used today's rainy day to finish up the seat mount. And with the completion of it, I'm finally done with my bobber conversion.

Feels good to finally have the bike in a street legal and ride-able status again. Can't wait for the next dry day. I don't care what the temp is, I'm gonna take it for a spin.

In one of the pictures, I put the set of drill bits I was using. It punched a hole through the frame like it was butter!

[Image: CAM00533.jpg]

This is that pic with the drill bits. You can also see a piece of the frame in the lower right that I had to cut out so the metal plate could sit flush against the frame.
[Image: CAM00535.jpg]

Here's the base piece all riveted together. I cut out the mud guard thing from the stock piece and riveted that in there too.
[Image: CAM00536.jpg]

I don't know why I cut this...
[Image: CAM00537.jpg]

Mounted with the tank and bolted down
[Image: CAM00538.jpg]

aannnd good ol' plasti-dip to finish off the look
[Image: CAM00539.jpg]

[Image: CAM00541.jpg]
01-14-2014, 06:00 PM,
@Cambo and @Maustarman I am following your work closely and learning from the pair of you, thank you.

I am enjoying watching your ideas come to life!

Gibbo
01-14-2014, 06:43 PM,
Poor Man's Bobber Seat
Sweet....
I looks great
01-14-2014, 07:56 PM,
hey thanks guys!
01-15-2014, 04:40 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 04:43 AM by Mr RCOM.)
Looks good dude. Did you put any springs between the seat and the pan?

And uh...like...if you still have the stock fender and wanted to get rid of it maybe we could talk lol

Btw do you have any other plastidip things or experience... im really wondering about it but im unsure about how long it lasts or holds up.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
01-15-2014, 03:22 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 03:23 PM by Cambo.)
(01-15-2014, 04:40 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Looks good dude. Did you put any springs between the seat and the pan?

And uh...like...if you still have the stock fender and wanted to get rid of it maybe we could talk lol

Btw do you have any other plastidip things or experience... im really wondering about it but im unsure about how long it lasts or holds up.
thanks dude! yup, it's actually hard to see from that angle but there's 3" scissor springs in between.

I actually have 2 stock rear fenders lol. 1 is one I tried to paint and the other is in better condition after I gave up with the one I tried to paint haha. Let me know what you need!

I absolutely love plasti dip. I've found that on small motorcycle parts, it looks just fine. I've tried using it on a car but I dunno, IMO it doesn't look too good on bigger paneling where you can really tell it's plasti dip. Some guys can make it look good though, I can't...so I stick to small pieces. But it holds up forever with a good amount of coats (3-4). It goes on super even, don't have to worry about "orange peeling" like you do with regular paint, or wet sanding or anything like that. And the best part? When you're tired of it, it's easier to peel off than it was to lay it down...and in one piece too! (usually...tiny nooks and crannies take a couple more scrapes of the finger nail)
01-15-2014, 03:37 PM,
Sweet.... with the seat springs and the suspension hows it ride? Id guess like a being on a cloud. But maybe its real soggy....

How much would you want for the one you goofed up? I bobbed mine and id like to go back to having the tail light on the back. Lol
LoLrcycle rider Cool
01-15-2014, 04:53 PM,
(01-15-2014, 03:37 PM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Sweet.... with the seat springs and the suspension hows it ride? Id guess like a being on a cloud. But maybe its real soggy....

How much would you want for the one you goofed up? I bobbed mine and id like to go back to having the tail light on the back. Lol
pfft...it's yours, just cover shipping (it's a pretty big box I imagine shipping USPS ground will be about $30). Do you need the tail light too? I have that lying around as well.

I took it out for a ride around the block last night and it's pretty comfortable, although I think I should've gone with the bigger seat for my fat ass lol...I felt myself wanting slipping off whenever I gunned it a little.
01-15-2014, 05:38 PM,
Ouch...you do not want to slip off the back of that seat... LOL
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
01-15-2014, 08:20 PM,
hahaha might wanna get yourself a seat belt after you do the pipes and pods!

and ill take that fender! if you wanna throw in the taillight that would be awesome. ill send you a pm with my info. but no rush cause its still cold as sin out lol
LoLrcycle rider Cool
01-15-2014, 09:41 PM,
(01-15-2014, 05:38 PM)OldePhart Wrote: Ouch...you do not want to slip off the back of that seat... LOL

hahaha yeah, I'll have an extra stock fender after I sent off one of them to Mr RCOM...I'm going to cut that up and fashion a slightly wider fender than what I had before lolol
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Le_Dom's bobber LeDom 16 10,815 07-14-2016, 09:18 PM
Last Post: nitramaster
  Saw this seat on a Bobber forum Dreamweaver 7 7,050 03-05-2016, 04:02 PM
Last Post: Maustarman
  Need Help identifying if this seat will fit txanthony 15 8,621 03-04-2015, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Maustarman
  Poor Man's Bobber Fender Cambo 20 26,979 12-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Last Post: Cambo
  Poor Man's Bobber Signals Cambo 3 3,824 10-25-2013, 12:12 AM
Last Post: Mr RCOM
  Back Rest Single Seat 1100 Classic K9Onyx 1 2,459 05-31-2013, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Mr RCOM