Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
01-15-2014, 11:28 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-15-2014, 11:29 PM by Cambo.)
Does Flo Filter mean don't have to remove exhaust anymore?
Hey guys, I was browsing SS custom cycle's page because I'm about to purchase their chubby kit...but then came across Flo "Drop In" filters which are marketed as, "re-useable".

Does this mean that with this Flo filter, I can just leave it in the bike during oil changes...which means I can totally skip the pain in the ass removing the exhaust portion of the oil change?

Because that would be awesome.

$40 bucks isn't too bad of a price at all for the convenience it'd add if so.
01-16-2014, 01:22 AM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014, 01:24 AM by Kimura.)
RE: Does Flo Filter mean don't have to remove exhaust anymore?
I did look them up on SS Customs web site, and they don't really give you too much info. My assumption would be that because an oil filters job is to filter out unwanted particles, that at some point you would still need to remove and clean them. The fact that they are labeled as "reusable" implies the same to be true.

Try their customer service number and see where that gets you. Especially if you haven't purchased from them before. Calling first would be a good test of if they're easy to work with or not.

I would highly recommend buying a relocation kit. I have one on my bike and it is WAY worth the money.
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
01-16-2014, 01:51 AM,
(01-16-2014, 01:22 AM)Kimura Wrote: I did look them up on SS Customs web site, and they don't really give you too much info. My assumption would be that because an oil filters job is to filter out unwanted particles, that at some point you would still need to remove and clean them. The fact that they are labeled as "reusable" implies the same to be true.

Try their customer service number and see where that gets you. Especially if you haven't purchased from them before. Calling first would be a good test of if they're easy to work with or not.

I would highly recommend buying a relocation kit. I have one on my bike and it is WAY worth the money.

thanks Kimura! actually I'll do that, lol, this is the first place I'm ordering online from outside of amazon and ebay so that's a great tip. I'll report my findings here
01-16-2014, 10:16 AM,
@Kimura relocation kit, ditto on that suggestion as will have to remove that filter still to clean it, it will be like a k&n air filter, in that it needs to be cleaned so your exhaust will have to be dropped again, just you get to use the same filter is the deal. ebay jardine or baron oil filter relocation kit.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

01-16-2014, 12:55 PM,
Mine came with the relocation kit already on it. The PO must have gotten tired of dropping the exhaust. Everytime I change the oil and filter in fifteen minutes I thank him for having done that.
Shy Bert
01-16-2014, 06:26 PM,
@Kimura what brand is your relocation kit please?

Gibbo
01-16-2014, 06:46 PM,
@Gibbo i will jump in mine i got for her after seeing what a PITA it is do the change, it is a Jardine, was just cause ran into a deal on it, believe Jardine and Baron are the only ones for the kit, like someone suggested had it done, wifey got a trip and had oil change and kit done so when got back bike was all ready.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

01-16-2014, 06:52 PM,
@Keith thanks for that mate, chasing one as we speak. Only drama being is that I have to get them from States which at the current exchange rate between the USD and the South Pacific Peso makes it a very expensive item right now!
I'll keep searching, you never know when a good deal may arise.

Gibbo
01-16-2014, 06:57 PM,
@Gibbo yep was pretty high $ but ran into that occasional ebay deal so jumped on it so she would be ready when got home, luckily was working then so could pay for it, truck and bike sitting a lot now, bike does not like it, she is cranky when trying to go for a ride now, hah. so just keep checking daily and even several times daily as thats when you can hit a deal, there are quite a few sellers that will ship to you.

01-16-2014, 06:59 PM,
@Keith copy that and will do.

Gibbo
01-16-2014, 06:59 PM,
I love these V* motorcycles but there are two things that just completely boggle my mind. One is the crazy design of the oil filter/exhaust on the 1100 and the other is that ()*&(* stupid sight glass for checking oil level on the 650... Both show a total absence of any "human factors" engineering being done - it's a miracle the bikes otherwise work as well as they do.

The idea that a manufacturer has "let slide" well into the 21st century one design that requires removal of the exhaust for a routine service required as frequently as an oil change, and another that actually encourages people to literally risk life and limb to check the oil level, is just beyond my ability to grasp.

That latter, especially, I find hard to explain when we have so many greedy lawyers to support. I would have thought that by now Yamaha would have lost several lawsuits on the 650 and would have at least started installing a center stand.

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
01-16-2014, 07:05 PM,
@OldePhart John John John, mate they were designed by ENGINEERS. Just ask @commonground what the "REAL" purpose engineers were put on this earth for is!! Engineers are like architects and bureaucrats :-)

Gibbo
01-16-2014, 07:11 PM, (This post was last modified: 01-16-2014, 07:15 PM by Keith.)
hah good one for sure, the engineers just get it running, sorry to the engineers out there, but also believe a lot of the time since oh lets say the 60's the engineers have been designing everything so you have to take it to the dealer more often cause it is a PITA to work on, they planned this. hello its more $ in the big guys pocket, but then for those that keep their toys for year and years we get the aftermarket work arounds, pay some but in the end save versus going to the dealer ie stealer!

(01-16-2014, 07:11 PM)Keith Wrote: hah good one for sure, the engineers just get it running, sorry to the engineers out there, but also believe a lot of the time since oh lets say the 60's the engineers have been designing everything so you have to take it to the dealer more often cause it is a PITA to work on, they planned this. hello its more $ in the big guys pocket, but then for those that keep their toys for year and years we get the aftermarket work arounds, pay some but in the end save versus going to the dealer ie stealer!
(01-16-2014, 07:11 PM)Keith Wrote: and no center stand on the 1100 either bud, had it on my kaw pursuit 1000K, jacked up mech jacked her up, woulda still had her!

01-16-2014, 11:53 PM,
@Gibbo @Keith, sorry for the delay fellas. I have the Barons kit. Kinda funny that Keith has the Jardine since we're talking about it. They're essentially the same thing anyway, except I just looked up the Jardine kit and realized I paid about $30 more. Whoops. ;)

I hope you can find one Gibbo, it's made changing the oil a breeze. The hardest part is waiting for the oil to drain. :)
'07 1100 Custom; Cobra Pipes, Kuryakyn Hypercharger
01-17-2014, 12:32 AM,
(01-16-2014, 07:05 PM)Gibbo Wrote: @OldePhart John John John, mate they were designed by ENGINEERS. Just ask @commonground what the "REAL" purpose engineers were put on this earth for is!! Engineers are like architects and bureaucrats :-)

Gibbo

Nah, that's all wrong. A real engineer would never design something that stupid - for that it takes a scientist with a PhD!

Seriously, I am an engineer (software) and anybody who has really paid their dues as an engineer would hang their head in shame if they ever let anything like that get into production! Those are both bone-headed rookie mistakes that show a distinct lack of technical "systems" leadership during the design of those bikes. Like I say, it's a minor miracle that everything else works pretty darned well. Smile

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Aftermarket exhaust recommendations? Yamahopper 5 5,221 08-03-2016, 11:09 PM
Last Post: Bilzer
  Hard Krome or Road Burner Exhaust trippplejt 1 3,034 07-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Last Post: pauli466
  Take Off Exhaust rocknitz 0 1,634 04-19-2016, 05:11 PM
Last Post: rocknitz
  New guy with question about driver's backrest and exhaust ID.. Rattlehead 3 3,712 01-26-2016, 12:19 PM
Last Post: Rattlehead
  Thugstar exhaust Steelfan68 4 5,267 09-09-2014, 09:29 AM
Last Post: Keith
  The advantage of 2 into 1 exhaust dkerwood01 6 6,122 07-27-2014, 08:42 PM
Last Post: tstrobl1
  So I took my factory exhaust off and... ET_Geckoe 15 7,436 03-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Last Post: commonground
  Opinions Requested! Which Exhaust? Cambo 28 18,136 02-26-2014, 03:02 PM
Last Post: jhennly
  Exhaust driving me nuts... ET_Geckoe 8 5,398 11-14-2013, 11:10 AM
Last Post: Keith
  Oil filter relocation kit Apostilic 4 6,393 11-11-2013, 12:22 AM
Last Post: ET_Geckoe