Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
02-22-2014, 11:00 PM, (This post was last modified: 02-22-2014, 11:09 PM by Cambo.)
Interchangeable Wheels...I hope?
So I'm going about this backwards...

I was a little trigger happy on ebay and bought this rear wheel:

[Image: newvstarrim.jpg]

The intention is to powdercoat it black and swap everything over. The matching front wheel was 16"...and I prefer the look of the 18" front...so I'm keeping the one I have. lol...so there'll be two different wheels on the bike. On top of that, one will be powdercoated black and one will be the regular shiny silver. lmao...it might work...might be ugly...I have no idea. My bike is already a hack job so I'm not too concerned.

However!

What I am concerned about, and what I should've consulted you all about first about, is will this be a simple swap? This is off an 05 vstar 1100. So in my simple mind, the swap is as as easy as transferring the tire and the disc brake from the old to the new, re using the axle bolt, spacers, etc....and I'm done!

Is this inaccurate? Thoughts?

TIA!
02-23-2014, 04:02 AM,
RE: Interchangeable Wheels...I hope?
just do it
LoLrcycle rider Cool
02-23-2014, 04:59 AM,
(02-23-2014, 04:02 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: just do it

lol...but is it as easy as just swapping everything over to the new wheel?

I guess what I'm looking for is...does anybody know of extra parts and pieces I might need i.e. bearings, more spacers, etc?

I don't even know what I'm looking for...

I guess you're right.

just do it.
02-23-2014, 05:12 AM,
lol i literally have no idea.

but id say you could swap everything over but the tire and see if it fit then you could do the tire. its 2:12 am goddddddddd
LoLrcycle rider Cool
02-23-2014, 07:52 PM,
@Cambo like the 1100 Gurus say ...... just do it!!! I like the idea of the powder coating and it is something I am going to do to my 1100 when it comes time for new tyres, right now can't see the point of doing double duty!!

Gibbo
02-23-2014, 08:10 PM,
(02-23-2014, 05:12 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: lol i literally have no idea.

but id say you could swap everything over but the tire and see if it fit then you could do the tire. its 2:12 am goddddddddd

ah man great idea...I dont' know why I didn't even think to do that! I'll do that before I press with a powdercoat job. G'damn I'm dumb. BUT I CAN PICK THINGS UP AND PUT THEM DOWN. I'M GOOD AT THAT MOMMMMA

(02-23-2014, 07:52 PM)Gibbo Wrote: @Cambo like the 1100 Gurus say ...... just do it!!! I like the idea of the powder coating and it is something I am going to do to my 1100 when it comes time for new tyres, right now can't see the point of doing double duty!!

Gibbo

haha true! I'm getting new tires too, the bike only has 5k on it...I'm not sure how long these dunlops are supposed to last...but I just want the peace of mind of a fresh set of rubbers. I'm on the fence about a 200 though. I think that'd look cool with the fender-less look. But it's so much more expensive. DOH!
02-23-2014, 11:39 PM,
My factory tires have like 10 or 11k i think... the rear needs go be changed. Im gonna do a burn-out and try and pop it after i get the new tire
LoLrcycle rider Cool
02-24-2014, 12:47 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-24-2014, 01:16 AM by Cambo.)
(02-23-2014, 11:39 PM)Mr RCOM Wrote: My factory tires have like 10 or 11k i think... the rear needs go be changed. Im gonna do a burn-out and try and pop it after i get the new tire

lmfao! @MrRCOM...new question:

Can I run a sport bike front tire? Specifically, the Michelin pilot road 3. I had them on my sport bike and loved them. super high mileage (for a sport bike) with performance grip. Seeing as how I don't plan to put many miles on this bike anyway, and when I do, it'd be spirited...maybe sport bike tires would work?

And if this isn't a faux pas (to put sportbike tires on a cruiser)...

will 110/80ZR18 size work? stock is 110/90 18. Not sure what that 10 difference will do to the tire.

Part of the reason I'm looking at this tire is because the michelin commander II front tire in the stock size is sold out everywhere. :(

disregard that last post...

found this site: Americanmotorcycletire.com

and they had a set of the michelin commanders...at the cheapest prices too. whether or not they're in stock...I don't know, site didn't say. oh well, I don't have any more money to mount them right away anyway lolol

Sigh...nice knowing you Mr. tax return....
02-25-2014, 02:53 AM, (This post was last modified: 02-25-2014, 02:55 AM by Mr RCOM.)
Well that 80 and 90 number is the side wall hight.... i believe... so youd be going with a lower profile tire i think.

And its probly fine to put a sportbike tire on your cruiser. theres some haggard ass looking tire... i think its for a atv... but its the same size as the rear and i think im gonna get it cause im a cheap bastardo
LoLrcycle rider Cool
03-12-2014, 01:31 AM,
Welp...just to bring this thread to a close...

The Good: The wheels are interchangeable.

The Bad: Three of the screws that hold the rotor down ended up stripping. Even with pblaster, those things wouldn't budge. So now I need a rotor and three new screws. Not gonna lie, I like the rear brake-less look though ;) I've heard of other guys running their bikes without a rear brake, with the argument that they never use it anyway...I'm half tempted...

I scrapped the powder coat plan because I'm poor and just hit it with some DEI high temp coating meant for exhaust wraps lol. We'll see how long that holds up.

[Image: CAM00653.jpg]

[Image: CAM00654.jpg]

[Image: CAM00656.jpg]
03-12-2014, 02:03 AM,
Lol my rear brake is almost shot again cause i got the shittiest cheapest organic? pad i could find... when i went out monday i ended up not even using my rear brake at all. It felt wierd to me. But then again im on it like old people on QVC.

So the words cut off cause of the big photo so im guessing you got the rotor off? If so how? Ive rear people taking lil propain torches to the bolts... just saying lol. But the wheel does look cool
LoLrcycle rider Cool
03-12-2014, 02:19 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 02:20 AM by Cambo.)
(03-12-2014, 02:03 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Lol my rear brake is almost shot again cause i got the shittiest cheapest organic? pad i could find... when i went out monday i ended up not even using my rear brake at all. It felt wierd to me. But then again im on it like old people on QVC.

So the words cut off cause of the big photo so im guessing you got the rotor off? If so how? Ive rear people taking lil propain torches to the bolts... just saying lol. But the wheel does look cool
lolol...my wife loves QVC, i call her old all the time. she is old though, she knits. wtf

nope, wasn't able to get the rotor off. :( that's a pic of the rotor on the original wheel. I'm searching for a new rotor and bolts on ebay right now... think I found one, just waiting to hear back from the seller. In the mean time, I'll take the wheel to the dealership tomorrow to see if they can remove it for me.
03-12-2014, 02:27 AM,
Lol oh yeah just saw the rotor on the spoked wheel.... duh. Dunno

And my wife got all this knitting gear... luckly i talked her out of a 200$ sewing machine... but she dropped that hobby a week or two later.
LoLrcycle rider Cool
03-12-2014, 08:08 AM,
(03-12-2014, 02:03 AM)Mr RCOM Wrote: Lol my rear brake is almost shot again cause i got the shittiest cheapest organic? pad i could find... when i went out monday i ended up not even using my rear brake at all. It felt wierd to me. But then again im on it like old people on QVC.
I am not on QVC. Angry
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
03-12-2014, 08:45 AM, (This post was last modified: 03-12-2014, 08:47 AM by Mr RCOM.)
Im sorry im sorry. I should of said "old women"

And besides you're not old
LoLrcycle rider Cool
Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Tanks....interchangeable? Leonidas185 2 3,111 06-08-2016, 02:58 PM
Last Post: Leonidas185
  Rear wheels joekool4 0 2,101 05-25-2016, 12:41 PM
Last Post: joekool4
  Tubed Dunlop 404's without tube on cast wheels ecreek 8 6,289 09-18-2013, 09:27 PM
Last Post: Gibbo
  Solid Wheels cowboybiker 4 4,903 01-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Last Post: jhennly