Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-15-2014, 04:36 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-15-2014, 04:36 PM by bill40311.)
Rider behind me smells gas ???
Went on a 200 mile ride yesterday and a friend behind me said he is smelling a lot of gas fumes in my exhaust. I have pods and jet upgrades with open cobra pipes . New plugs (500miles ) Would my pms adjustment help this ? Thanks Bill
08-15-2014, 04:56 PM,
RE: Rider behind me smells gas ???
sounds like running real rich then if being smelt from the exhaust. don't know on the pms, pod king is Mr RCom since cannot tag him, shoot him a IM, bet he will help fairly fast.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

08-15-2014, 05:03 PM,
(08-15-2014, 04:56 PM)Keith Wrote: sounds like running real rich then if being smelt from the exhaust. don't know on the pms, pod king is Mr RCom since cannot tag him, shoot him a IM, bet he will help fairly fast.
yeah he was the one who recommended the jet sizes and pods I have on mine . Runs Great I love all the power . Thanks ill pm him
08-15-2014, 05:29 PM,
I would visually check the plugs and see how they look. If they aren't looking rich then you are probably okay. Also watch for your exhaust tips to go black and show a lot of carbon if you're really rich.

Remember that: 1) from the factory vehicles these days are really right on the edge of too lean both to meet strict emission requirements and to look good on the EPA estimated mileage, 2) the stock exhaust probably had catalytic converters that burn up most of what little unburned gas remained, and 3) with no baffles to provide back pressure you're probably scavenging more mixture out before it gets fully burned.

Back in the day cars very often smelled a little gassy especially on long runs because the gas would condense and build up in the mufflers.

With the cats gone that may be all your friend is smelling...engines the way they were meant to run... Biggrin

John
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-16-2014, 05:03 AM,
No need to sweat on it. It's normal. Rider behind you might have just quit smoking. :D
08-16-2014, 07:57 AM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2014, 08:57 AM by commonground.)
What had you eaten before the ride? Smile My wife has a similar complaint in car.
Never tell someone more than they are willing to hear.
08-16-2014, 12:17 PM, (This post was last modified: 08-16-2014, 12:17 PM by Kimsnot.)
Rider behind me smells gas ???
I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to be rude.
08-16-2014, 04:21 PM,
(08-16-2014, 07:57 AM)commonground Wrote: What had you eaten before the ride? Smile My wife has a similar complaint in car.
Lmao Tacos !!!
08-16-2014, 05:28 PM,
hmmm, proly not that, now if had been bean burritos, yeah good possibility.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.

08-16-2014, 06:01 PM,
like oldephart said. just check your plugs and look for sooty exhaust.

if its real rich get a torch or something and rev the piss out of it and blow some flames lol
LoLrcycle rider Cool
08-16-2014, 06:11 PM,
Hmmm...I'm making tacos tonight...coincidence...maybe, maybe not. :)
08-16-2014, 06:19 PM,
(08-16-2014, 06:01 PM)Mr RCOM Wrote: like oldephart said. just check your plugs and look for sooty exhaust.

if its real rich get a torch or something and rev the piss out of it and blow some flames lol

maybe you could do the car flamethrower insert a ignition source into the pipe and just spark it up blowing flames out, believe Mr RCOM was checking into that a while back.

08-16-2014, 10:51 PM,
There's actually a company that makes flamethrower kits for bike exhausts...not my cup o tea but the videos on YouTube looked pretty cool if you're into that sort of thing.