Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
08-19-2014, 05:11 PM,
Speedo Gauge going crazy!
Okay so i was out for a quick ride last week. Running along with no problems and then my check engine light comes on and my speedo/odometer/trip display start going crazy. The speedo dropped from the 65 i was doing down to 20 then proceeded to bounce all over the place, then the whole gauge (speedo and odometer) when blank, then came back on. It continue to do that until I made it home, some 20 miles. on and off

I shut the bike off, tried to start her up again and had nothing, no lights, ignition cycle, nothing. so its obviously electrical but I dont know where to start??? I put her on the charger and it showed my battery was at 87%. I charged it anyway, later that night at 100% charge she started right up

Any thoughts???
08-19-2014, 10:12 PM,
RE: Speedo Gauge going crazy!
I don't know how your charger measures 87% but for a lead/acid battery (liquid or gel) 87% of nominal voltage is pretty low (if that is what the charger is measuring).

The bottom line is it sounds like for one reason or another your charging system is not providing enough juice to keep the battery charge up. This could be a lot of things. It could be a battery that has a shorted cell and is therefore constantly drawing a heavy current to "charge" the battery - but if putting the battery on the charger brought it up to full charge that scenario is very unlikely.

Get a digital volt meter and, with your battery fresh off the charger, test your voltage at the battery with the ignition off. It should be around 12 to 13 volts, roughly, depending on how good a shape the battery is in and how long it's been since it came off the charger.

Turn the ignition on, the voltage will probably drop a little.

Start the bike, the voltage should immediately come up to higher than the ignition off state...and ideally you should be putting out at least 13.6 volts even at idle, with no accessories (stereos, auxiliary lights, heated grips, etc.) turned on.

At around 5k RPM you should be putting out 14 to 14.5 volts depending on how many accessories you have going. In no case should it be below 13.6 at "operating RPM" even with the accessories on. If it is, your charging system is weak or you have too many accessories.
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-20-2014, 01:32 AM,
what @OldePhart said If you find you don't have issues with the charging system and the symptoms never show up again, I would say you had a loose battery connection.
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

08-20-2014, 01:49 AM,
I got all of those issues once and it was a bad battery...
As mentioned before is either the battery of the charging system p
08-20-2014, 06:55 AM,
(08-19-2014, 05:11 PM)Smooth_talker23 Wrote: Okay so i was out for a quick ride last week.

Any thoughts???

I see the problem.

She was upset that you woke her up for only a quick ride. She figured that she would make it even quicker so she could go back to sleep, sorta like teenagers do. [WINKING FACE]

just my non mechanical taken on it.

Kimberly
2007 RoadStar [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]
08-20-2014, 08:57 AM,
and check wiring etc, mine did that had a short if battery and connections check out.
2006 VStar Stratoliner, Freedom Performance split dual exhaust, Mustang seats, Sissy bar with back rack, bolted saddlebags to mounts.
Life's tough .. it's even tougher if you're stupid. - John Wayne

08-20-2014, 12:13 PM,
Thanks for all the replies. I'll do some checking based on the responses above and let you know what I find. Thanks again!!
08-20-2014, 07:29 PM,
(08-20-2014, 06:55 AM)Kimsnot Wrote: I see the problem.

She was upset that you woke her up for only a quick ride. She figured that she would make it even quicker so she could go back to sleep, sorta like teenagers do. [WINKING FACE]

just my non mechanical taken on it.

Kimberly
2007 RoadStar [SMILING FACE WITH HEART-SHAPED EYES]

And there is actually a pretty good chance that you are absolutely right... :)
===========================
2011 V-Star 650 Custom (new in fall 2013)
V&H Cruzer Pipes, Memphis Shades Bat Wing, Floorboards, Highway Bars,
Locking Bags, Tail Rack, LED Signals & Aux Brake Lights, Headlight Modulator,
Brake Light Modulator, 5/8" Gel Pad Under Upholstery.
08-20-2014, 10:40 PM,
They are temperamental little ladies sometimes...
'07 Double One Hundred Custom Black Cherry w/Ghost flames
Cobra Speedster Slashdown pipes
Barons ORK
Disabled AIS
Cobra Carb Needles
Every cage is trying to kill you so always remember, Grip it and Rip it!!!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Digital Oil Pressure Gauge Vstarman2010 2 3,644 10-24-2016, 11:38 PM
Last Post: Mrmodify
  LED speedo lighting issues. ET_Geckoe 4 5,822 10-10-2015, 11:46 PM
Last Post: Maustarman
  Gas Gauge? Kielbasa Leg 12 9,254 02-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Last Post: cmort